Secrets of Istanbul Walking Tour
Get deep into the history of Istanbul and visit off the beaten track destinations with the Secrets of Istanbul walking tour. Discover the hidden gems of old Constantinople and explore its puzzled streets with an English-speaking expert guide who knows the secrets of the city very well. Visit places that are not easy to find on your own, hear stories of Istanbul legends and historical personalities and see the best attractions of Istanbul along the way. Visit the historic Roman Hippodrome; the Blue Mosque; and the 300-year-old Çorlulu Ali Pasha Madrahsa. Explore the Grand Bazaar; the Suleymaniye Mosque complex; and the hidden Rustem Pasha Mosque. Taste Turkish Delight in Istanbul’s best local cafés; have some free time and learn how to bargain at the famous Spice Bazaar. Walk to see the picturesque Galata Bridge to take in the view of Istanbul over two continents and enjoy your tour with a delicious lunch in the Tahtakale local markets.
Book Secrets of Istanbul Tour Now
35 Euro per Child 6-11
50 Euro per Adult
- Visit the Blue Mosque and Roman Hippodrome including the German Fountain, Serpentine Column and the famous Obelisk which was shipped from Egypt to the Byzantine Emperor Theodosius in 4th century AD.
- Walk on the ancient roadway dotted with the ruins of Roman columns and the Constantine Column.
- Explore the Grand Bazaar and learn the local art of bargaining. ( Please note that Grand Bazaar is close on Sundays. We also visit Spice market which is open everyday and the Spice Market has similar products to the Grand Bazaar).
- Visit a Turkish borek maker (pastry) in Istanbul's back streets and taste the most delicious borek stuffed with cheese, minced meat and potatoes.
- Relax and drink çay from a tulip-shaped glass like a local and try nargile in cafes where Turkish people socialise.
- See the 300-year-old Çorlulu Ali Pasha Madrasah with it's impressive Ottoman architecture.
- Browse the book markets where the first books were printed during the Ottoman era.
- Learn about the famous Suleymaniye Mosque complex with its eateries, libraries and hamams.
- Enjoy lunch at a local ocakbaşı (authentic restaurant) in the backstreets of Tahtakale local markets.
- Visit the hidden Rustem Pasha Mosque with its spectacular blue Iznik tiles.
- Taste authentic Turkish produce including Turkish delight, dried apricots, roasted almonds, halva and fresh cheese.
- Have many great photo opportunities and more.
Walking tour, City orientation, Local lifestyle, Turkish cuisine and drinks, Historical sites, Storytelling, Hidden gems.
Travellers who like to explore attractions off the tourist trail, food lovers, those interested in Ottoman history, shoppers and photographers.
English-speaking local guide. Visits to the Blue Mosque, Hippodrome area, Madrasah, Grand Bazaar, Book Market, Suleymaniye Complex, Rustem Pasha Mosque, Spice Bazaar and Galata Bridge. Glass of çay and nargile in the secret tea garden. Turkish delight tasting. Lunch at a local ocakbaşı (authentic restaurant) in the backstreets of Tahtakale local markets.
Additional food and drinks that are not listed under the inclusions section above. Shopping expenses. Please note we do NOT enter the Ayasofya museum, you will be able to visit the museum in your own free time. Tipping to the guide. Recommended amount 5-10 Turkish Lira per person.
This tour has daily departure for a maximum of 10 people.
This tour involves entering mosques. Ladies and gentlemen are required to dress appropriately by covering their shoulders and ensure coverage past their knees. Ladies will need to cover their heads. Scarfs are available at the mosque, but feel free to bring your own scarf to use. In addition, for your convenience it is best to wear shoes that are easy to remove.
Our meeting point is a short walk from the Sultanahmet - Blue Mosque tram station. The public tram system starts at 6am.
Children aged 6 to 11 years are 35 Euro per child. Children above the age of 12 are charged full price. Parents of children under 6 years are advised to book a private tour.
Between 4 & 5 hours
Fuego Cafe & Restaurant
Incili Cavus Sokak. No: 15A
Sultanahmet, Istanbul 34110
Click here for the location
Eminonu. Your guide can describe how to get back to your hotel in your own time.
Our meeting point is the Fuego Cafe & Restaurant in Sultanhamet – located in the heart of the main tourist area of Istanbul. From our meeting place we start the walking tour by entering the Blue Mosque with its six minarets and beautiful tiles which were made in Iznik (the birth town of the Ottoman Empire). After the Blue Mosque, we have a short briefing about the Hagia Sophia / Ayasofya and Roxelana Baths and then we walk to the ancient Hippodrome where your guide will tell you about the Constantine Column, the Serpentine Column and the famous Obelisk which was shipped from Egypt to the Byzantine Emperor Theodosius in 4th century AD. On the way we see the famous artists who draw Islamic Calligraphy. We make our way to the Grand Bazaar, here your guide will brief you on the history of the Grand Bazaar with its labyrinth of streets lined with textiles and products for just about everything! Learn the local art of bargaining here. After the Grand Bazaar your guide will take you to a great hidden cafe here where you can drink cay (tea) and try nargile with its intoxicating aroma and fruity flavours. Then we will stroll to the nearby Sahaflar Book Market where books were printed for the first time during the Ottoman era. Now the market sells all kinds of old and new books to students, travellers and locals. Here we will learn about Islam and the holy book, the Koran. On the way to the Suleymaniye Complex we pass the spectacular facade of the Istanbul University and into the Cagaloglu district – a shopping hub for locals and far from the main tourist attractions. Once we reach the Suleymaniye Complex we see the Turkish bath, library, madrasah, eateries, and the grand Suleymaniye Mosque that dominates the skyline along the Golden Horn. Here you will learn about the mosque, named after the most famous and powerful sultan – Suleyman the Magnificent. After a break, we continue our walk and discover the hidden streets of Istanbul and see the local markets where local products are made on-site. Then it is the time to relax and take in the local lifestyle with a delicious lunch. We then visit the hidden Rustem Pasha Mosque with its beautiful tiles. Then it is the time to taste some delicious Turkish desserts – Lokum. Take your time to see the spice market which will introduce you to a mountain of Turkish spices, Turkish delight and local handicrafts. When the tour concludes your guide can instruct you on how to get back to the hotel and give you many other options of what to do in your free time.
Book Secrets of Istanbul Tour Now